The p90x fitness test is a tool provided to people looking at starting the p90x system. The test really is not a test in the sense that if you fail it you cannot do any of p90x. The reason beachbody recommends that you take this test is so that you have a starting point. This is an initial assessment of your overall fitness prior to starting the workout program. Since most people are a beginner when first starting, the program it is important to have your initial starting rates. This becomes even more important if you are able to make it to the end of the p90x program. At the end of the program, you will take the test again at the end of the 90 days to see how far you have come. This gives you something to compare to so that you can see just how far you come using the program. Also at the bottom of this article you will find two things, one is the link to the official p90x fitness test and two is a video on how to perform the test.
- Heart Rate Monitoring device – this is keep track of your heart rate.
- Body Fat Measurement – calculate body fat. This is the hardest part for me to do; I had just never done it.
- Body Weighing Scale – normal weighing scale, dust it off because you will be using it a lot.
- Pull-Up Bar – mounted correctly – following the instructions. Beware there are weight limitations on most bars, usually 250 lbs.
- Stopwatch or timer – something like a stopwatch timer or a 60-second cooking timer will work.
What the p90x fitness test measures:
- Body measurements: weight, body fat%, waist / chest and hip sizes.
- Resting Heart Rate — this measurement is prior to starting any exercises.
- Pull-Ups — you should try to do the pull ups to the point of failure. P90X program suggests that you need to be at least capable to perform one pull-up if you are a female and three pull-ups if you are a male. Most people cannot do but maybe one pull-up, do not worry if you cannot.
- Vertical Leap — this test is starting on one leg or single step and performing a vertical leap. P90X program suggests that you need to have at least a vertical jump of three inches if you are a female and five inches if you are a male.
- Push-Ups — this should be the maximum number of push-ups you can do, females can do this part of test on their knees. The program suggests that you need to be able to do at least be able to do three push-ups if you are a female (or fifteen push-ups on your knees) and fifteen push-ups if you are a male.
- Toe Touch — this test is a traditional toe touch test. P90X program suggests that your reach needs to be less than six inches from your hands to your feet.
- Wall squats — a test where you put your back against the wall, squat in the shape of a chair, and hold it as long as you can. The P90X program suggests that you need be able to hold this position for at least 60 seconds.
- Bicep Curls — this is a test where you perform bicep curls until you are not able to anymore. The P90X program suggests that you need to be able to do at least at least ten curls with eight lbs. If you are a female and ten curls with twenty lbs. if you are a male.
- In and Outs — in this test you perform an exercise and record how many you are able to do. The P90X program suggests that you should be able to do at 25.
- Heart Rate Maximize — this is where you will be measuring your heart rate after a jumping jacks exercise. The P90X Program suggests that you need to be able to finish the at least two minutes of jumping jacks.
My Final Thoughts:
I have list the official fitness test in a pdf format below. You have to take this assessment if you are going to use the p90x program. If you listen to “Tony Horton” and “Bring It!”, then you will definitely want to see how far you have come by seeing the before and after fitness test results.
This is a video showing how to do some of the exercises in the test.